Shooting in the Mexican resort of Cancun leaves one dead and six injured

One person was killed and six others injured Friday in a shooting on a main boulevard in the Mexican resort town of Cancun, authorities said. A suspect had been arrested in connection with the attack, which did not take place in the resort’s hotel zone, according to prosecutors in the coastal state of Quintana Roo.

The shootings took place on an avenue lined with restaurants and bars further inland. It’s the latest example of violence that has tarnished Cancun’s reputation as a laid-back vacation destination.

In March, tourists were rushed by loud bangs heard at Cancun International Airport. Flights were suspended for nearly three hours after authorities received reports of gunfire at the airport. Videos posted on social media showed travelers rushing out of a terminal.

The National Guard later said there was no evidence of gunshots and said the detonation may have occurred after someone knocked over three freestanding vertical displays in the terminal. Also in March, authorities found four bodies dumped in undergrowth in Cancun and said they were part of a total of 13 murders by the Jalisco Cartel at the resort since September.

Most of the bodies were found in vacant lots or houses. The Caribbean coast, Mexico’s main source of tourism revenue, has been hit by endemic violence.

In January, prosecutors said the murder of two Canadians near Cancún was motivated by debts between international gangs apparently involved in drug and arms trafficking. In late October, further south in Tulum, two tourists – one an Indian-born Californian travel blogger and the other German – were caught in the apparent crossfire of rival drug dealers and killed.